Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Monday, January 23, 2017

Feeling good.

I finally got around to doing something with the quilt top I bought online for $20.

I bought some batting, and some muslin to back it with, and I set to quilting it on my Bernina.

I took the day off from weaving.

HONEST.
I really did.



It's only a twin size, but it's in perfect condition.



While I was sewing, and concentrating on quilting every single octagon, I was able to appreciate each  and every one.
The variety of fabrics, and the sheer number of them, began to amaze me.
I thought about how much time was spent cutting all these pieces, and hand sewing them.

It was a labor of love, for sure.

Tomorrow I will bind the edges, and it will be finished, and I will treasure it; not because I quilted it, but because someone, a long time ago, made it.   And it feels like they made it just for me.




Every evening, when day is done, my girl is here on the couch with me, sometimes resting her head on my leg.

Just so much love.







13 comments:

claudia said...

That quilt is so pretty! Certainly someone had loved it at one time, and now you can! It's nice that it has a home where it is appreciated!

Theresa said...

How pretty, quilts and love, things that cover and protect us huh? Pets and hugs all around.

Sojourner Design said...

That is one honking machine! I thought you had an older industrial machine for sewing your hand-wovens.
The fabrics in that lovely quilt look old, and therefore probably cotton rather than cotton-poly. Nice!

Peg Cherre said...

Such a nice, peaceful post, enjoying the simple things in life. With so much drama going on everywhere, this interlude is much appreciated. Sweet!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...


I love that quilt, you have the patience of a saint and the treasures to show for it. What a find too!

518Frenchgirl said...

Hilary, What a treasure, and a great rescue! I always wanted to try machine quilting, I'm sure my new machine will do that...something about lowering feed dogs...you got me thinking. I want to make a few quilts from the two totes of fabric I have left. Just simple crazy calico quilts, like your cat. You always inspire and encourage, never change. ML

Deanna said...

The quilt is wonderful and will give so much joy each time you see and use it. So wonderful that you were able to finish it.

Angela Tucker said...

How beautiful! You are a woman of many talents. Maybe that quilt has been waiting all these years...just for you! My kitty, who is not a lap kitty, will sit behind my head and purr, purr, purr. I'm taking that as some "kitty love". LOL

Daryl said...

that quilt is gorgeous ... i wish i had known you when i decided to turn the comforter cover someone made for into a quilt ... i trusted the wrong person and alas its now in pieces carefully folded away in the hopes someday i can get it repaired

Thistle Cove Farm said...

That quilt top is fabulous...so much love, patience, kindness. Bless you for rescuing it!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

That is gorgeous! What a treasure to find and save.
Hilary from The Smitten Image sent me to read your chiari post. My son is nearly 7 months post-concussion with constant headache and broke his T-1 (we assume then, but don't know definitively because he didn't have a back x-ray taken until the 6-month point. Long story, I know. The fact that you can sew and do detail work now is encouraging.

soxanne said...

That quilt top is a version of the Grandmother's Garden pattern ... lovely.

http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/colonial_revival/flower_garden.htm

Teri said...

Great job with the quilting, I have an old hexagon quilt top, but the hexagons are laid out in a different pattern than yours. I have thought about hand quilting it, but don't have the space to lay it out to baste it...maybe someday.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts