Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Monday, May 25, 2015

Simpler and Simpler.

In my effort to purge all the fabric from the barn, and to share some of my stash with the rest of
the fiber world, I have given away a bunch of huge fabric rolls, weighing from 30-50 lbs each.
Today the third random visitor, from my Facebook posts on weaving sites, left with a CARLOAD.
And still there is a lot of fabric up there, at least 20 big rolls, and a lot of smaller ones.  It is what is left from a huge purchase that I made several years ago, huge as in about 3000 lbs of fabric.
I have too much, and it needs to go.



I have been pacing myself.
I guess that is what you would call it.  Doing a little of this, and a little of that.

For some reason, I have experienced more than usual "migraine auras", in the last few weeks.
Not sure what that is about. I now have Excedrin in the house, and the car.
I am hoping now that the stress of the "old house" is gone for me, things will even out.
I don't have to go over there at all, ever.  Ahhh.


 I feel like I have entered the next stage of my life.
Today, so unlike myself, I sat on the glider on my screened porch, listening to the wind chimes, eating
watermelon, drinking ice tea, and reading my second book in two days. 
What is happening to me??
I find myself staying "home" for days at a stretch, and loving every minute of it.
When you work where you live, it is so different.
Instead of doing all my chores when I got home at 4-5pm, now I can fit them in in small bits whenever I want.
Throw a load of wash in, do up some dishes, go back to weaving.
Do some sewing, throw an asparagus quiche together.
Spend an hour pulling weeds in the labyrinth, have some lunch, back to the loom.


I find that I get so much more done, and it doesn't seem that I've expended any more effort.

It's all part of my downsizing, simplifying mission.  And it's also part of Lois and I  being semi-retired.
I have to say, I'm so far enjoying it immensely.

We've started some 4x6 rugs.

The Toika is in the front bedroom upstairs.  We decided to use the fabric that is already IN the room.
There seems to be enough of it.
Roy is taking notes.



Our new schedule is Lois working 3 days, and I've decided that 3 days works for me, too.

WOW.  
Have I experienced a head injury or something???




I love the Toika.  And since my efforts to sell it were less than stellar, I decided to listen to the universe, and weave rugs on it.

The 4'x6' rug  is usually a good seller, now I just have to figure out where to keep them once we get a stack done.

 Read another book today, and I highly recommend it.

Leaving Time, by Jodi Picoult.


Going from 16 looms to 8, has been like taking this huge weight off my shoulders.
It's like hearing a voice in my ear saying, "you don't have to do it all, it's ok."






I feel calmer, and more focused.
I may have to change the name of my biz.  I'm not feeling so crazy these days.


7 comments:

Lydia La La said...

I could feel that weight coming off your shoulders! I breathed out a heavy sigh, unconsciously. It is surprising just how much we can get done in 10 minutes. No pressure on us then.

Just a suggestion... You could sell your fabric cheaply and donate the proceeds to a worthy cause. I will buy things but can never accept things for free unless I have something to exchange in return. My fave charity here is The Royal
Flying Doctor. xx

Theresa said...

I remember that truckload of fabric you got! Glad to see you lightening the load. As I clean and organize paring down has become second nature to me. I have just 3 looms and I am happy with them. It is what I can comfortably keep in warp and spend time on without consuming time from every other wonderful thing I like to do. Hell YES, working from home is wonderful. I too don't leave the house for days. Pets to Ray and Hugs to you. No luck with the sinus stuff in relation to the headaches?

Christine said...

Ah, yes. I've been spending time on the screened porch listening to the birds. I'm still getting things done, just at my own pace. I think I'm starting to adjust to this retirement thing.

claudia said...

I am finally getting into a routine of sorts since we moved from Cali to Washington. We got half of our fence up, the larger animals have gotten used to the schedule, the smaller ones now know what to expect and when, so it's not the drag it was for a while there.
As soon as the other half of the fence is up and I can let the horses roam freely and the goats will have their own "island" it will be even better. YAY! for progress!
I wish I could take some of that fabric off of your hands, I have NO place to keep it and I'm not set up to weave still. (and I have plenty to play with so...) Keep up with that relaxing thing. It's so good for you!

Pepper Medley said...

New business name.... Lazy as A Loom? Lazy is a good thing to be in between tasks. A sit on the porch swing with ice tea or lemonade never hurt anyone. I love that you are not going full speed ahead anymore, or at least not feeling as though you need to. Life is sweet at our age and should be savored. xox

Daryl said...

awesome ... two books in such a short time, i am envious

Gayle said...

FABulous! Love reading it all and know that you are living it. Meant to say before, so happy to hear of RoyBoy's meds and comfort. All of your photos are so welcomed and also love the sparkling shine of the windows.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts