Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Today.

Ok, so I have some explaining to do.  Where the hell have I been since January????


Well, here it is in a nutshell.........I'm not sure where I've been for the last 10 months.  I'm really not sure at all.   A lot of it has been a blur.  My life has changed so much, sometimes I 
feel that it has been a bad dream, and I'm going to wake up soon.






Bill used to pick on me, and say, "oh you won't miss me when I'm gone."  

I wonder if he knows, just how wrong he was.

I'm managing everything, for sure.   Truth is though, you don't know how to fill that hole where grief 
resides, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Time.  
I know.



I have great family, and amazing friends, and I am so grateful for both.

They help me navigate this unimaginable loss.

And the studio, as always, is my savior.   There is nothing, next to my grandchildren,
that makes me as happy as letting my creative muse take over.


One big change is that I really don't care about the retail end of it.  I have tried, 
several times, to talk my self into getting pumped up (again) about retail, but it's just 
not happening
I will put stuff on FB, and I will build up inventory for the guild show
in the fall, and that's about as far as that goes.   
Today I thought how funny it is, that I used to joke that I wanted to be that strange old
lady in the big house that weaves.
And here I am.


I still bake and cook, although not as much.  That too is a comfort to me.


My kids, and a couple of friends, have informed me of my continual mention 
of death.  Mine in particular.  The end.  The inevitable.  When.  And how I am constantly 
getting my affairs in order as if it were imminent.
Which it could be.  Of course.

But just as likely, it's not.


And I realize that they are right.   Since walking in and unexpectedly finding my husband
expired, I'm afraid that my mind goes there more often than not.
I know that this is not good for me.
I'm just not sure how to stop it.

But I know that I need to get on with it, move forward with my life, however
I might perceive it, and I need to stop perseverating and stop being morbid.

Any passing advice??  Please.  
Feel free.   This is hard.




I am guilty of doing what most people do, and what I have done my whole 
life...........and that's trying to manipulate the future......trying to decide.....will 
I do this?  or this?   or maybe that?  And will that make my happy?

When the only real way to live your life.....I know this....I learned it a long time
ago, but still need to be slapped occasionally ........is to just LIVE TODAY.

STAY IN THE DAY.

So simple, but so difficult to do.




So my goal, if I have one, is not to write a book, or draw lots of houses, 
or weave wonderful garments, or dye beautiful yarn, or to go on vacation.

No.

My goal is to do today, to be as happy, and content, and comfortable as I can be
for this whole day, then to put myself to bed, to sleep, and rest up to do it all 
again tomorrow.
And tomorrow will be my today......and I will strive, once again, to 
do it justice.



10 comments:

deodar said...

It's hard. It's been over 5 years for me and before sleep pretty much every single night I relive when he died here at home or his funeral. I don't think this is morbid any more, I think it's just remembering. During the day I think of him often and encourage people to talk about him. That said, for almost a full year after he died I was a dervish. I mean major projects, building a closet, emptying and reorganized a three car garage and a barn and using 1x1-1/2' molds to make a cobblestone area about 6'x30' (lots of bags of cement mix!) You do whatever you need to do to get through each day, you can't just pull up the covers and stay in bed. Fortunately I have a hobby farm, dogs, goats horses, chickens, a pig, so I had/have no choice to be up and feeding everybody. (You ought to hear a pig screech when his meal is late) So hang in there, lots of time will be a blur but, as in the nomenclature of my youth: you have to keep on keeping on. It doesn't get better but it does get a bit easier.

Boud said...

I've been widowed a few years, and that first year you're not really in your right mind. There's a reason people dissuade a widow from making any big decisions before at least a year has passed. For some people, counseling maybe even medication, helps, for others that's not what they want to do.

Your entire world has shifted on its axis, not surprising you're having trouble finding equilibrium. It will come, though. It will.

Joanne Noragon said...

Let me pass along the best advice I ever had. When both my girls were in college, I took in a young border from the local college to handle their chores. A year later he was killed in a tragic train crossing accident. I was devastated, for him, his friends, his family. A work colleague said to me, "He's the last thing on your mind when you go to bed, so he will be the first thing on your mind every morning. One day he won't be the last thing you think of, and won't be there in the morning. It will take a year or two, or more, for this tragedy to not consume your life, but it will clear."
And it did become a memory. A good, and happy memory.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...


I think you have the exact answer - live each day as best you can, and when Bill comes and sits with you in your memory, allow it, but let it be the good times, not the last image in your head. That wasn't him anyway. And all those things you listed... you don't have to set goals. Just follow what is inspiring you to do in that moment, on this day. That's one of the blessings of bein older - we're off the treadmill, amen! And hell! Take the vacation!! New Places, old favorites, whatever - Life is to be lived, until it's not and that part is out of our hands, so why worry it over. Why focus on the ever after while you can live today well. Do it. and I know you have Bill's blessing. If there is something after this... you have his blessing and his love and he knows. He knows.

Rita said...

I believe one must grieve as deeply as one loved. If you weren't blessed with such a love you wouldn't miss them so much. Grief is a process that takes as long as it takes. Be kind to yourself. *love and hugs*

Daryl said...

lots of good advice here in the comments .. my husband of 43 years died 17 months ago and i have not been the same person since that day .. i speak with a grief therapist weekly, some weeks it seems to help, others not so much. i have learned there is no right way or right length of time to grieve .. some days i cry a lot, some days i sit and just, well, sit .. i journal every morning after i do the Spelling Bee and Wordle all mental exercises that form my morning routine. a few months ago i re-read my journal from the beginning and i noticed that a lot of the repetitive rants/apologies/admissions have been replaced with a calmer more introspective take on my life without an 'us' or him .. one thing is how much i miss him and how much i miss us .. finding oneself after spending a lifetime as two isnt easy but like all addictions you go one day at a time .. give yourself a hug a tight hug and take another step forward ..and know you are not alone

ktweaver said...

I hear you, Hilary.

Netherlands said...

Thanks for providing such an interesting and informative blog

SeattleSuetoo said...

Hilary,
Thank you. You have helped me to STAY IN THE DAY with your words in this blog post. I have even typed out your words and put them in my Bullet Journal to look at each day as a reminder that "my goal is to do today, to be as happy, and content, and comfortable as I can be for this whole day..." Thank you for your words of wisdom as you grieve. You are a blessing and loved for who you are.

Monique said...

Hilary:
I just discovered your blog when I was looking for weaving patterns on Pinterest. Not sure where the link came from but I guess it was meant to be. I don't understand your grief but I am pre grieving if that makes sense. My husband has stage IV cancer and his time is short. He was diagnosed three years ago but it's been stage IV since day one and I feel like I have been grieving since...but more and more of late. I know it's not the same but it's on my mind at some point multiple times per day. I try not to let it linger so I move onto something else but I see it every day with my husband's oxygen machine, tubing, medicines, and everything that goes with end-of life care. He's 47 years old and we have a 16-year old daughter. I guess I grieve the future we won't have together, what he will miss out on and what our daughter will miss. Today was a good day because I left the house and went to weaving class but this evening I cried a little thinking of how unfair this is for my husband. Anyway...we don't know each other and I guess that's why I could share. I'm glad I found your blog and I will check back. I'd also like to know where I can buy some of your stuff. Please let me know. And thank you for sharing and for coming back!

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts