Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Friday, March 24, 2017

On a Friday.



I think spring is near, but not near enough for me.
I long to hear the subtle sound of the earth wakening.

Keeping busy is the only way to deal with it, in my opinion......so busy I am.

This morning, I have potato leek soup simmering on the stove.



And I have started rinsing my warp that I dyed yesterday.


This is a custom order, shades of medium to dark blue.
Some of the colors were straight out of the jar, and some of them were mixed by me and my imagination.
So we shall see.



My sewing table, that Lois and Claire fixed for me (it was falling apart), has risen to the occasion once again.  It is so useful, in so many ways.



Syd is on the window cat seat, totally being NOT helpful.
As usual.



My hands are blue, the studio sink is blue, the floor is spotted blue..........no matter how careful you are, you end up dyeing things you had no intention of dyeing.

I am thinking for summer dyeing, a piece of plywood on saw horses outside.......for warps that take up this much space.




In between things, I am trying to make use of scraps of stuff that L and I have woven.

This mobï cowl is mercerized cotton and hand dyed bamboo.







Being happy with what you have, where you are is sometimes tough.  Sometimes it's a challenge.
But always, when you get there, it is better.





6 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

I only started dyeing about a year ago, but I LOVE it! I dye outside in the summer, and in my basement in the winter. The almost constant breeze outside is a challenge, so I'm going to try moving to my garage with the door open this year. Hopefully the wind won't be coming from that direction. I sure don't want to be stuck in the basement on beautiful summer days!

Cindie said...

Can't wait to see what that blue warp becomes.

I do all my dyeing outside late spring, summer, early fall. I just don't have a place to set up inside so I dye lots of warps in nice weather for weaving throughout the year. If I need to do a special warp when it's not nice outside I'll set up a space heater in the garage....but I try to avoid that.

Loom With A View said...

I think everyone in the northeast is anxious for spring to start - that last blizzard was a real backhanded slap from Mother Nature!

I suppose I could experiment using snow for dyeing experiments, but I really don't fancy being out in the cold. Sigh.

If it is any consolation, the Montreal Ecomuseum just announced that their black bears just came out of hibernation. Apparently they have never been wrong, so we can hope that spring is just around the corner!

Shepherdess55 said...

With the project at hand, it's probably a good thing Sydney was not being helpful. You'd have ended up with blue paw prints in addition to the drips on the floor and sink. :-)

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...


Love all those blue hues - how do you get it off your hands??...

Daryl said...

that blue is gorgeous .. i want a pair of eye glass frames in that color

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts