Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Monday, July 25, 2011

Cranberry

Ah, the Cranbrook.  60" wide, 4 harnesses.  BIG countermarche loom.

I traded it with a lady I met at a  Harrisville workshop.  We met on the thruway, half way between Glens Falls and Pittsburg, Pa.  She and her husband with a U-Haul, me and DH with our own U-Haul.
I traded her an 8 harness Macomber, 45" wide.  Not sure why I couldn't get comfortable with it, but I couldn't.
And the Cranbrook was just so impressive. I WANTED it.

It sat in the attic in storage for a year.  Then it came to the studio, where it sat in the living room for another year.  Then we moved it to the front bedroom upstairs, and it sat there for another year. 
Eventually, I got up there, put a warp on it, and tried to get it working.  I labored over it for a week, and gave up, swearing.
Something was wrong, and I couldn't figure out what it was.
And I had other fish to fry, so it sat for another year.
Then last fall, I brought it downstairs, and I said I was going to get it going in January, if I didn't do anything else.
And I did.  After several days of anguishing over it, I realized what I was doing wrong, a simple mistake,  I fixed it, and then  wove two 4 x 6 rugs on it.
Since then, it has been sitting, again.
Poor Cranbrook.

Just recenty, I decided to get back at it again, since I am always toying with the idea of selling it.  But I am always conflicted.
Well, I am happy to say, that finally, me and the CranBERRY have gotten to be friends.
I like her.   I am enjoying weaving on her, and I am NOT going to think about selling her anymore.
The end.
My friends who listen to this monologue, will be glad.


I even played with the tie up today, adjusting the shed, and got it RIGHT, folks.

My advice to anyone who gets a countermarche loom...........stick with it, don't be intimidated.  Once you master it, you will love its easy treadling, its quiet action, its firm beat.


This makes me happy, especially since I refrained from getting rid of it, because I had the gut feeling that it wasn't the right thing to do.

Sometimes I drive myself crazy, for no reason.
Just sayin'.



Did you see my new Toika temple........orange, no less.  They are the best temples ever.



Cooler today, reminds me of fall.
My fave.



For those of you who wanted it, and believe me, it's yummy.
Here it is.

Pumpkin Blueberry Pound Cake.

Cake:
3 cups plus 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teasspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 and 1/3 cups canned pumpkin
1/3 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup of 1% milk
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Glaze:
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 tablespoon canned pumpkin
2 and 1/4 teaspoons low fat milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Coat a 10 " tube pan with cooking spray, dust with flour.
Lightly spoon 3 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
Combine 3 cups flour and next 6 ingredients, (through cloves), stirring with a whisk.
Place butter in a large bowl, beat with mixer at med speed until fluffy, about 1 min.  Gradually add granulated and brown sugars and 1 teaspoon vanilla, beating until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
Add eggs, one at a time, bating well after each.  Add pumpkin and sour cream ( I substituted yogurt)
and beat well.
Beating at low speed, add flour mixture and milk alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Fold in blueberries.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until wooden pick comes out clean.
Cool in pan 15 min, on wire rack.
Place a wire rack upside down on top of cake, invert onto rack, and cool completely.
To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, and remaining ingred, stirring well until blended. Drizzle over cooled cake.  (it took more liquid to get it thin enough to drizzle)
16 slices 314 cal per slice.




6 comments:

Cait Throop said...

OK now I'm hungry and it's all your fault! I'm making this receipe tomorrow--my guys love it when I bake...I have a Macomber 8-harness 45in and I love it though right now it is threaded with plain weave for shawls--pretty silly using my 8 harness for plain weave! ha!! Never used a countermarche!

Rubye Jack said...

This is all Greek to me, but the cake sure looked good and the rugs are always beautiful.

Sharon said...

Of course I want a countermarche loom. I also want a larger studio that it would fit in! It's perfect for you!

Anonymous said...

Hillary is doing the Toika Dance, Hillary is doing the Toika dance. Glad you worked out all the little things that were driving you crazy. Countermarche looms are wonderful, I have an old Glimarka CM and I adore her. Between her and my very wonderful Gilmore I a happy weaver (have to admit I do want a 12 shaft Toika, wish the pocketbook was big enough).

Hugs to Roy Boy.....

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Thanks for the recipe, Hilary!.. yum...

WeaveThings said...

OH!!!

I love pumpkin and I love blueberries. Me: stopping by the store on the way home. Buying ingredients. Baking. Tonight! :)

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts