Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Two days in a row.


What?   Two blog posts in two days.


Anyway, this is the last cloak I can possibly finish before the Hudson Mohawk Weaver's Guild Show that starts Thursday, and runs through Sunday.
(Pruyn House, Old Niskayuna Rd, Colonie, NY)





This one is wool and rayon.   I inadvertently threw it in the wash.......and the dryer.  I meant to hand wash it and hang it to dry, but there you have it.  Senior moment.  Brain freeze.   Call it whatever......it happens too often.
But for some reason, it didn't felt much.....and didn't shrink much.   The weft is rayon, the warp is wool.....so I am supposing that the rayon kept the wool from clutching and felting.




Several people have asked me about my pattern for this cloak.....and the simple truth is, like most things, I have none.
I often fly by the seat of my pants, as anyone who knows me well is quite aware of.

It's basically a rectangle, with holes for your arms.
I played with it for awhile, to get the size right, and to get the armholes in the right place.   I think it is open to interpretation, but I like the way they are turning out.
I especially like them turned upside down, and worn the shorter jacket way.

My big problem was weaving them in two pieces, and thus having a seam.  I debated about where to put the seam, and then worried that it would show.
It doesn't, unless you look for it.
I think the reason it doesn't is the good advice I got from a weaver friend.  I sew the seam on the machine, then I hand sew both sides of that seam down, then press it.



The armholes are basically a bound button hole, just bigger.   I have tried different types of fabric.
This is thin, soft corduroy, which I chose because I liked the colors.







Once I get them in, I again hand sew them down, then go back to the machine and do 1/4" around the opening, to reinforce.






I will admit that the first time I cut two holes into my just woven piece, I was terrified.  But now I
am used to it, I don't even hesitate.    It's really not hard at all.

I have 12 cloaks ready....and I have debated in my head for weeks about the price.   I fear pricing them too high, then again, if you go to a show and sell out, then you've priced too low.
So I've ended up going with my first instinct, because I know how much time I have in them, I know the quality of the fibers I've used, and I can always come down on the price and sell them at shows next year.

A voice in my head said, "Don't sell yourself short."  So, I'm not.






Woke up to the world covered in white, and a dreary, wet, cold day.

But eventually, I gave in, left the sewing machine, and we went for a walk.



It is much more strenuous to walk through up and down over uneven ground, than to walk on the level bike trail,but Naya didn't seem to notice at all.




This girl loves the snow, and I'm committing myself to getting out in the cold this winter to take her for walks.   It's good for her, and good for me, too.

There will be times I will have to kick myself out the door, I know, but she's worth it.
And so am I.


5 comments:

justjill said...

Beautiful photos. Do you have an online shop? I love your garments.

Joanne Noragon said...

You have a fabulous show. Sell it all.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

What an absolutely beautiful area you live in. We have fields here, too.. but they are not as far reaching - just so gorgeous! Enjoy your walks, I love them - peace of mind restored.

Peg Cherre said...

That last photo is beautiful. Very generous of you to share such details about your cloaks.

Daryl said...

we're getting some of that snow down here tomorrow afternoon .. i am hopeful it turns to rain and melts away ...

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts