Pages

Crazy as a Loom

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Figuring it out, still.


DH is home.  He spent two long days in the hospital, having every test imaginable.
It wasn't a stroke, which is good news.
Apparently, he suffered his very first seizure, and they really don't know why.
They think it arose from the damaged brain tissue, from the stroke he did have 6 years ago.

He's tired, but otherwise, doing ok.

For me, it was a lesson in not worrying about the future, not trying to live in tomorrow, or what tomorrow might bring.
Because in truth, there is no way to know.

This is Denali, where my son in law and grandson were a few days ago.

Kind of like life, it just is what it is. Beautiful, scary.  Accept it. And move on.


I thank you for all your kind comments and well wishes.

L did GREAT at the Blue Mountain Lake show, and I was very (beyond) pleased.
The reason I wanted to do shows this summer, was to pay off my credit card from the Compudobby purchase.
On that front, well, I guess all's well that ends well.
But honestly, it was a bitch.

It took me four, no five, days to get it operational.
I read the 15 page instructions about three times.
I first took off all the mechanical dobby parts.  Then I installed the new Compudobby.
But then it didn't work.  Of course it didn't.
I kept thinking it had to do with the sensor.  My neighbor, who is brilliant, came over, and said, "no, it's not working because the loom and the computer aren't communicating".

After throwing my hands in the air several times, and feeling completely overwhelmed, I skyped with Bob from AVL.
He was great, and walked me through it.
AND GUESS WHAT????  drum roll..................IT WAS THE FRICKING SENSOR.
Just like I thought.
Which brings me to another subject.  WHY?  WHY do women tend to bow to a man's opinion, EVEN when there is evidence that we might be right???  Why don't we believe in our gut???? When do we get over that???


The relief that I felt when it was working was incredible.  It felt so good.

I got a warp on the loom, and spent hours threading, so I could try it out.


A little green and silver tencel.


I have come to the realization, that things that I used to think were over my head, may not be.
After all.


And FINALLY, it was operational.


I have no idea why I waited so long to do this.
But I know that I should have done it long ago.
After looking at other looms, and thinking that I needed to save to buy a NEW loom with all the bells and whistles, I realize that I now have the perfect loom for me.
 16 harness- enough to do incredible things.
E-lift- heaven, and kind to my aging body.   (why is that so hard to admit??)
Compudobby-the opportunity to be more creative and change patterns with a click, with unlimited repeats.....well, 2200 repeats might as well be unlimited!!!!!


FUN does not begin to describe it.
I wanted to weave all night, but after threading 714 threads,  my neck said, NOPE.
You're done for today.


MY neck rules. RULES.



Lois is working on undulating twill, again.  We both love it.


She has an accomplice.  Sydney stays here supervising much of the day.
The hassock is on wheels, so it is always interesting to see her jump up there.



Life is good, unpredictable, but good.
And there's always tea.
My mother taught me well.


Summer is flying by, soon it will be fall, and that's ok with me.   My favorite time of year.

I leave you with a sleeping baby......my youngest grandson.
I only have to look at my grands, to remind me how precious life really is.


My daughter and granddaughter, in Maine.



I get older, and all the angst I have endured in my life, trying to figure life out, seems silly to me now.
It's really all so simple, in the end.



9 comments:

Angela Tucker said...

Good morning, Hilary. Yes, life can be scary. I am happy that that your husband is home.
It is hard when our loved ones hurt.

Your loom is amazing! I have a hard enough time with cross stitch...two threads and a single piece of linen. I think I pulled out as much as I stitched last night. Teach me to stitch when tired. LOL

There are days that I roll out of bed and my very first thought is how I will make it to my next nap. I am so very tired. Nothing has changed, but I think that the last four years has started to catch up to me. There is no guarantees...you just try to do the best you can.

I hope that you have a good day.

LA said...

So thankful that DH is home! Congrats on the AVL!

Peg Cherre said...

Yay on DH!

Life is good. We try to learn from our mistakes and move on. That's all there is.

claudia said...

That grandson of yours is just plain ol' precious! Your grand daughter is stunningly beautiful! She has a deep soulful smile.
I'm glad DH? is home and resting. I always thought people healed better at home. I'm sure he is much more comfortable!
Congrats on getting the compudobby going. I would have been a blubbering puddle on the floor.
Love the weave that L is doing. The colors are diving. It looks like whales tails!

claudia said...

The colors are divine not diving, but then they do look like whales tails!

Anita Johnson said...

This post is so jam packed with news I know I will forget something....I am glad DH is home....that loom and program is amazing. I don't know any of the technical stuff, it looks very complicated, but the work you do on it is excuisite. We tried to put together a swing set today for our son's family. We did 15 of 50 steps. One step called for more than 40 screws. My body said no more too. I wish the swingset could weave too! Ha!

Daryl said...

oh i can empathize .. every time my husband goes to the doctor its something more than expected ... eye exam? cataracts! ... deep troubling cough? asthma! allergies? CATS!!!!!!!!! well thats one we'll somehow deal with ..

Vicky said...

It feels so good to have the ability to catch up with you. Your weaving just lulls me into a calm I love how you take the bull by the horns and get things done- like fixing your new piece- despite all you went through-you still got it done and working. I pray your husband continues to recover well and clarity prevails about his health. Your lessons always open my eyes to new things and I'm thankful you share them so openly.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...


Great news about your husband! .. love the photo of your daughter and grand - beautiful.

And yes.. yes.. it is what it is.. live it regardless.

Welcome to my world.

Because every thread counts

Because every thread counts